Often called “The Silent Killer,” high blood pressure puts extra strain on your heart that can lead to many problems. Many people are not sure what blood pressure means. Blood pressure is the amount of force on your arteries and heart from the pumping, or movement, of your blood throughout your body. Many people are unaware of the danger they are in. Statistics show more than 50 million Americans are affected by high blood pressure, also called hypertension. However, there are some remedies we can do by ourselves at home to reduce our blood pressure.
Proper understanding about Systolic and Diastolic pressure
The pick point of blood pressure is called “systolic” pressure and the second, or bottom number indicates the diastolic pressure. Systolic tells the highest pressure your blood reaches when the heart is beating or contracting. The diastolic number is the lowest pressure reading that occurs between heartbeats (heart contractions).
Ideal blood pressure for sound health
Adults should look to have blood pressure at or below 120/80. This level means you are in the best condition for avoiding health problems such as heart attack or stroke. If the systole is 140 or above, or the diastole is 90 or above, this shows high blood pressure. You should be taking action to reduce your blood pressure systematically.
Effective home remedies for high blood pressure
1. Measure your blood pressure on a regular basis
Unlike many health problems, high blood pressure rarely shows obvious symptoms. The only way we can know for certain is to have our blood pressure measured. Blood pressure is easily measured at clinics, doctor’s offices, or hospitals. Sometimes there are even automatic self-serve machines in shopping malls to take a measurement.
2. Reduce salt from your food
Don’t add salt to your food or when cooking. Check the products you buy for the amount of salt or sodium that they contain. Look for low salt alternatives. Replace salt with other herbs or spices for more variety.
3. Eat more fruit and vegetables
Adults should eat a minimum of 400 grams of fruit and vegetables per day. Fresh produce is ideal, but canned and frozen is also okay. However, beware of added salt, sugar, and fat to processed fruits and vegetables.
4. Lose some weight
Avoid fat or crash diets. Simply make small changes to your lifestyle to lower your weight gradually over time.
5. Avoid consuming alcohol, fizzy drinks, drugs or even fast food
Reduce or eliminate drinking of alcohol from your diet. It would be better if you ignore the fizzy drinks, fast food and fatty dishes to avoid unnecessary risks.
6. Increase the amount of daily exercise in a routine way
This exercise can be simple things. Walk up the stairs for several floors instead of using the elevator to go up to your destination. Do more walking instead of driving, taking the bus, or the subway. Any activity is good that raises your body temperature and leaves you slightly out of breath.
After all, if you have high blood pressure, you should consult a physician regularly to monitor your health. However, there are simple changes you can make to your lifestyle, eating habits, and exercise which will lower your blood pressure and also give you a healthier life.
- High blood pressure is a common disease in the modern age.
- Many people have vague idea about the disease.
- There are some effective home remedies that can keep you away from high blood pressure.
- Blood pressure above 120/80 should be taken as a signal.
- There are five steps people can do to reduce their blood pressure.
- Blood pressure can be genetic and thus runs in families.
- Victims should stop smoking, taking drugs or alcohols to reduce their blood pressure.
- People should measure their blood pressure regularly to check if it is high.
- People with high blood pressure for a prolonged time should seek a physician’s advice regularly.
Bookmark This Page (Ctrl + D)
Home Remedies Information — Did you know?
Do you have a few minutes? Invest a few minutes to read the full Home Remedies list. One item is shown at a time. How many items did you know? Start now and read up to the last one. Don't miss.
Item 1 of 6: We survived many centuries with the help of home remedies / natural cures.