Festivals encapsulate a region’s heritage and culture. Every festival offers a great time to savor feasts and happiness. Festivals indeed bring people from different walks of life to experience the significance and joy of embracing the tradition, culture and folklore. This article brings to you some of the exciting festivals celebrated around the world.
Carnival celebrated in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
This is a 4-day long festival that draws millions of people from all over the world. The highlight of this festival is the Sambodromo parade where groups compete for the coveted title of best samba school. A festival filled with excitement due to the samba music, vibrant costumes, parades and dance. This festival is celebrated in February or March in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Snow and Ice festival of China
This festival is the largest ice and snow festival in the world where 20 feet high carvings of ice and huge buildings are made with blocks of ice and theses carvings are decorated with lights. This festival is celebrated in Harbin, China from January 5th- February 5th.
The Burning Man and Day of Dead festivals of USA
The Burning Man festival that takes place at Black Rock City at Nevada is an expression of the various forms of art related to the theme of the year and culminates in the symbolic ritual of burning a wooden effigy of a man on a Saturday evening. This takes place in August or September. The Day of Dead or Dia de losMuertos is a day when people pay tribute to their beloved ones who have died. This is celebrated in Mexico and Los Angeles on November 1st. There is a vibrant display of costumes where people sport sugar skulls and favorite food and beverage of the deceased.
Boryeong Mud festival of South Korea
This festival happens in July in the town of Boryeong in South Korea. Many cosmetics were made with mud from Boryeong mud flats which was considered to be rich in minerals. This festival was conceived in 1988 to promote the line of cosmetics and has drawn millions of people to Boryeong.
The White Nights Festival of St. Petersburg, Russia
This festival is an international arts festival held annually during times of midnight sun. There are musical shows where international artists perform. The culmination of this festival is with the Scarlet Sails celebration.
Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain
This is a part of the San Fermin festival where a dozen bulls are let loose in a street and people have to run in front of the bulls. Around 200 to 300 people get injured every year at this festival. This event takes place on 25th of July.
Holi, an Indian festival of colors
This is an ancient festival of colors that takes place with a Holika fire on the night before Holi. On the day of Holi, people splash colors on people and spray colored water with water guns. You can also see people dancing and singing. This festival takes place in the month of March.
Pingxi Lantern Festival of Taiwan
This is a lantern festival where many sky lanterns are released into the sky. People make a wish and then release this lantern. This was celebrated to ward off the town from illness. This is a beautiful festival as the sky over Pingxi district in Taiwan glows with the lit lanterns. This festival is celebrated in the months of February or March
- Festivals show a glimpse of the heritage and culture.
- Rio Carnival in Brazil includes a parade of dance, colorful costumes and samba music.
- Huge carvings of ice are made during the Snow & Ice festival in China.
- The Burning Man is a festival of expressing the different forms of art in Nevada.
- The Day of Dead is a festival to remember deceased beloved ones.
- Boryeong mud festival of South Korea was conceived to promote cosmetics made from the mud of Boryeong.
- White Nights festival in St.Petersburg, Russia is an international arts fair that is held every year.
- Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain is celebrated where men have to run in front of a group of bulls.
- Holi is a festival of colors celebrated in India.
- Pingxi Lantern festival is celebrated with the release of lanterns in the sky in the Pingxi district of Taiwan.
Bookmark This Page (Ctrl + D)