In the present job market more and more professionals and employers are recognizing the importance of online degree. Apart from flexibility, convenience and career opportunities it provides, there are also certain myths regarding online degree which needs to be busted. Not all professionals can enrol themselves in an on-campus course due to lack of time, so they are opting for online degrees.
With a growing number of options available, students become confused regarding choosing the right degree. Every online degree has its pros and cons which needs to be understood well before applying for it. Here are 3 questions you need to ask yourself before applying for an online degree.
Does the school have proper accreditation?
Accreditation is a process of validation in which the schools of higher education are validated. The standards are set by a review board consisting of faculties from various universities and colleges. Accreditation gives the employers a chance of filtering candidates from those who does not hold a degree from an accredited institution. Proper accreditation will also allow you to transfer those credits to other premier universities for higher education if you choose for.
Accreditation ensures that those candidates will provide quality work at job desk. Accreditation are of two types, institutional and programmatic. While institutional accreditation are provided by particular institutions ruled by regional organizations, programmatic accreditation are provided based on particular program the school provides.
What will be the cost of education?
Money should be the most important factor while considering higher education. While they are costly, they can be cost effective. You can always opt for student loan but you need to get a highly paying job for paying off that loan. It will not be wise decision if you leave your course midway unable to pay the fees. Sometimes small regional institutions holds the same amount of accreditation provided by premier institutes.
What are the chances of interacting with the professors?
It becomes difficult for the professors to explain any technical solution via email and then expect a reply after few days for further progress. So before choosing any online program give stress on real time teaching session giving synchronous training , where online classes are conducted concurrently with on-course classes so that students have the chance to interact with their teaching assistance and classmates via video conference.
Not only technical, but even in non-technical fields building network and engaging in conversation with peers is equally important to understand their views and doubts in the subjects. Occasionally, students can meet every six months in the campus and build network or visit fields for hands-on experience.
A reputable degree is not the only thing a employer looks for. In conjunction with degree, a real world experience in that field is also important. Due to course pressure, a full time job experience becomes difficult for the students to attain. This has been recognized by the universities and hence online degrees are tailored for working professionals and students so that they can learn while earning.
- Online degrees are tailored by universities keeping in mind students can learn while they earn.
- Along with a reputable degree, job experience is equally important for getting that dream job.
- Look for institutions that provide proper accreditation so that your chances of securing a job increase.
- Accreditation is standards set by faculties from various universities and colleges to ensure high quality of education.
- Accreditation can be institutional as well as programmatic.
- Look for cost effective courses so that you can sustain it till the end.
- Even some small regional institutions have same amount of accreditation as premier institutes.
- Look for opportunities to interact with the professors and classmates for doubt clearing.
- A synchronous class with on-course classes via video conference gives the opportunity to clear doubt easily with your peers.
- Students can occasionally meet at the campus for building network and having hands-on experience in the fields.
Bookmark This Page (Ctrl + D)