Recent data on the rate of accident in the United States shows that it is on the rise and motorcycle accidents are not spared in these figures. There is a shocking revelation from the Insurance Information Institute that shows that there were about 8.4 million motorcycle road accidents in 2014.
Motorcycle blindness is the lead cause of accident
The size of a motorcycle or a moped is very small compared to that of a car or a truck. Their small size often makes them invisible on the road so that they are either missed or overlooked. Vehicles often veer into the lane of motorcyclists or collide with them while navigating turns. In this case, the accident is no fault of the motorcyclist.
Collision at rear-end is also common
Rear-end collision usually occurs when a motorcyclist fails to leave enough space between themselves and the vehicle in front of them. For a truck and vehicles, rear end collision may appear like a minor bruise on the car without having any effect on their occupants. For a motorcyclist, on the other hand, it can be calamitous and throw them off their bikes.
The increase in motorcycle accident is linked to the increase in the number of motorcycles on the road
The number of motorcycles and vehicles on the roads of United States has continued to increase year on year thereby increasing the probability of a bad crash to occur. Some United States attorneys have talked about issues concerning motorcycle accidents particularly how victims can get compensation and some of their facts are stated below.
1. Helmets have not saved many motorcyclists from death
It is generally advised that motorcyclists wear safety gears that would prevent them from major injuries in the likelihood of an accident. On the contrary, it has to be shown through information obtained by the Texas Department of Transportation that of the 459 lone motorcycle accidents in 2014, only about fifty-two percent killed in the process (both passengers and operators) did not wear a helmet.
2. There is a higher chance of a motorcyclist dying from accident
Logically, when a car and a motorcycle collide, the motorcyclist is more likely to get more injuries than the passengers of the vehicle. Official statistics shows that motorcyclists are twenty-seven times more likely to be killed in a collision than the passengers of a vehicle. They are also five times more likely to sustain injuries than the occupants of a vehicle.
3. Motorcyclists are more prone to life-changing injuries
A car or truck provides a level of protection to its inhabitants. This is not the case with motorcycles. Motorcyclists have a higher chance of coming down with traumatic brain injuries, neck, and spinal injuries, abrasions and broken bones, all of which can change the life of the motorcyclist forever.
4. A huge amount of money goes to motorcycle injuries annually
According to the Government Accountability Office, it is estimated that a whopping sixteen billion dollars are spent annually on motorcycle crashes. The money usually goes into health care of the injured motorcyclists or their passengers, property damage, rehabilitation, legal fees and loss of wages.
A motorcycle accident can change a victim’s life forever
The victim of a motorcycle accident may forever be in physical pain from the injuries, some of which may follow them to their graves or financial pain because of the exorbitant medical bills to be paid. Working with a personal injury lawyer at such a time is crucial because it may help you alleviate some of the pain.
- Rate of motorcycle accident is on the rise in the United States.
- The rise in rate of accident can be linked to the increased number of vehicles on the road.
- The small size of motorcycles makes it easy for cars to run into them.
- Helmet has done little to stop motorcycle riders and passengers from dying from crashes.
- When a motorcyclist fails to leave enough gap between them and the driver in front of them it can lead to rear-end crash.
- The chance of a motorcyclist dying from accident is 27 times higher.
- Rear-end accident can result in serious injuries to motorcyclist.
- Motorcyclists have a higher chance of sustaining traumatic injury.
- Huge amount of money is spent annually on motorcycle accident.
- An injury lawyer can help you to relieve the financial pain that results from an accident.
- The Truth behind Atlanta’s Pedestrian Accidents
- The Way an Attorney Handles Your Auto Accident Cases and Claims
- Points to Note before Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- The Alarming Number of Fatal Motorcycle Accident is a Cause of Concern
Bookmark This Page (Ctrl + D)