Health issues, no matter the mildness can lead to a certain level of discomfort. The situation is even more bizarre if you have been a victim of an accident. Whether the cause of your injury is intentional, due to neglect or accidental, you will definitely have to endure some physical, emotional or financial difficulties but there is a way out.
Legal action is not a sign of hatred for your offender
Accident victims may get too emotional to think that suing their offender may be a sign of animosity against them. This is not so. As a victim of an accident, you will incur some financial loss and your offender will have to take responsibility for your finance. If they refuse, it is your right to sue them with the help of a personal injury attorney. Suing is the best way to get them to take responsibility.
There are steps to take when pursuing compensation
Pursuing compensation is a stepwise process which may be extremely difficult to go through without the aid of an experienced attorney. The steps involved to get the desired compensation when you are a victim of personal injury are as follows:
1. File your complaint
Once you have made up your mind to chase compensation, the first thing you will have to do is to file a complaint – the language that the legal institution understands. A complaint document should have a list of the complainant’s grievances. A lawyer is in the best position to help you arrange these documents properly.
2. Wait for a response
When you have filed your complaint, a paper would be served to the offender (defendant). The court will allow the defendant a period of thirty days to respond to the grievances of the complainer (plaintiff). The response can either be in the form of admittance or denial. However, the defendant can file for an extension which will provide them another thirty days window.
3. Gathering of evidence
Evidences are what determine on whose favor the verdict would go. A plaintiff can lose a case because of poor fact finding as a result of poor representation, even when they have a strong case. Evidence can be gathered in four ways namely:
- Interrogations of about twenty-five questions answered by each disputant and their testimonies written down.
- Meeting with the attorney of the two parties to discuss the injury.
- The court will read the evidence to you that you will be required to either accept or deny.
- There is a time given to the defendant to produce the document which proves that they are innocent.
4. A period of peaceful resolution
At a point, just before the commencement of the case, the court will give you time to meet with the other party in an attempt to try and resolve the matter amicably. This is known as mediation. This is usually done in the presence of a mediator. If the case is settled, it ends and does not proceed further to a court hearing. The success of mediation will need to be represented in a document.
5. Court proceedings
When every other attempt at out of court settlement fails, both parties will have to meet in court. A good number of cases are never resolved out of court. When the verdict has been passed, an appeal can be made against it for cogent reasons. There are great benefits lining the filing of a personal injury lawsuit but you will need to hire an experienced lawyer to enable you to tap into these benefits.
- Accidents and health issues lead to discomfort.
- Some victims of accident think that filing claim is a show of hatred.
- The defendant is mandated by law to take care of the victim of an accident.
- Filing of a claim is a stepwise procedure.
- A claim is a language that legal institutions understand.
- Defendants are usually given 30 days to respond to a lawsuit.
- The evidence is the deciding factor of a judge’s verdict.
- Mediation is the point where the court attempts to resolve the case out of court.
- The majority of cases are not resolved during mediation.
- The verdict of the judge can be appealed for review.
- The Advantages of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer Milton
- 8 Things You must Know When Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
- How to Settle your Personal Injury Claim without a Lawyer
- What Your First Steps should be when Filing a Personal Injury Claim
Bookmark This Page (Ctrl + D)