You should not be amazed to discover that personal injury law has a dictionary, should you? Unless you have had a training in the law profession, many of their terms may just sound like mumbo jumbo to you. However, many of those terms they use really have simple meanings if they were to use a lay man’s language. Personal injury law has its own basic terms like all other faculties. If you are really interested in the principal rule regarding personal injury, you must have to learn at least the glossary of personal injury law.
Glossary of personal injury law explains the terms
If you have the opportunity to lay your hand on any personal injury law glossary, your weaknesses and problems in the court room will be over. The glossary explains most of the words in simple terms that make their assimilation easy. Take a look at some of the words from the glossary and see if you could have guessed their meaning correctly.
Action: When someone is punished for a crime or when someone sues the other so that the other has to defend himself, an action is said to have occurred.
Adjudicate: The process of a judge hearing and deciding on a case.
Affidavit: A written note in the form of a swearing done by one in the law court or in the presence of a lawyer or law person.
Alternative dispute resolution: This occurs when a case is resolved outside the court and not under the supervision of a law person.
Appeal: This happens when you lose a case or part of it in a lower court and want a higher court to see if the decision were right.
Arbitration: When a person, who is not directly involved in the case, is allowed to make evidence, review the case and make decision.
Bank levy: This is the way of recovering money from a bad debtor. The money is recovered by any possible means either through their credit union, saving account or thrift institution.
Bench trial: This term is used when one is tried without a jury.
Brief: This is a short written statement presented by both sides as a reason why the case should be judged in their favor.
Compensatory damage: Amount of money one party pays to another for judging them wrongly or for an inflicted injury.
Complaint: A statement that the suing party presents to the court containing all the sued did to them.
Damages: When the actual amount for an injury is paid, it is called compensatory while an amount exceeding cost of injury is paid, it is called exemplary.
Date of loss: This is the first date that the event of interest occurred used by insurance companies.
Default judgment: This term is used when the decision goes to the suing party because the sued failed to appear in court.
Defendant: The sued or the person against whom the lawsuit is filed.
Demurrer: When the defendant claims that the facts that the plaintiff has presented is not enough to establish judgment against them.
Dismiss with prejudice: This is when a court has dismissed a case and bars such case to be filed again in the future.
Execution of judgment: It denotes that the decision of the court is enforced and could mean seizure of properties.
Fiduciary: Same as a trustee.
Garnishment: This is a process where part of a person’s wage is withheld under law as a means of payment for their debt.
- There is a glossary that explains all the legal terms regarding personal injury law.
- All these terms are easy to understand if explained in simple language.
- Knowing those law terms will help you better understand the procedures in the law court.
- Defendant is one who has been sued and who has to defend the allegation.
- Plaintiff is the person that files the case.
- Damage is a form of money paid to an injured as compensation to the injury.
- Fiduciary is a person acting in the benefit of another.
- Indemnity is that a person has the obligation to provide compensation.
- Injunction is an order from the court that prohibits the defendant from carrying out some action.
- Personal injury is a civil case that seeks to have an injured person ask for damages.
- Heart Attack and Personal Injury Claims
- Understanding the Personal Injury Regulations
- What Your First Steps should be when Filing a Personal Injury Claim
- Requisite Qualities and Characteristics to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
Bookmark This Page (Ctrl + D)